The Hunger Games/The Cold War?

Hello!

So the other day I was sitting in my Cold War history exam and I had a thought. Was the hunger games based on the Cold War? Maybe not the actual games but the districts remind me of the USSR taking control of Eastern Europe. I was thinking about how Comecon (The Soviet Union's way of controlling the economies of the satellite states) and how they Soviets influenced the industries to benefit themselves, The Capitol did the same thing with the districts, for example district 12 and coal mining.

Another similarity between the two was the 'puppet leaders' and the head peacekeeper. The head peace keepers were in appointed by The Capitol to keep 'peace' in the districts just like the puppet leaders were put in place to keep peace in the satellite states.

A third similarity is the great lengths that both the Soviet Union and The Capitol went to, to try and stop any form of uprising. In both cases they used brute force to stop them. There were similarities in the martyrs as well. In the Prague Spring (the uprising in Czechoslovakia) a man called Jan Palach set himself on fire as a protest. In district 11 a man whistled Rue's song knowing that he would be shot on site.

I know this is probably a strange post for me to make but I said I was going to post what was on my mind and this was! I hope its given you food for thought.


Much love,

Catherine xox

No comments: