YouTube Culture



Hello!

So recently there have been a lot of videos put up by famous YouTubers expressing their beliefs on YouTube culture. The general message that has been sent out is that the YouTubers feel as though they are being idolised by impressionable teenagers, in particular young girls. For example in Louise's video (sprinkleofglitter) she talks about how she knows that she only puts the best side of herself out onto the internet and even though she's not lying to us she is just showing us the best parts of her personality. I think that this is very true and the young people who have been idolising these YouTubers for years have to understand this. Personally I love watching YouTube videos and I will admit that I too have been idolising these people. Carrie Fletcher also made a video with Ben Cook (A Chat With Carrie) which was completely unscripted and talked about how conscious she has to be about everything she puts online. 

After everything has come to light with the latest "YouTube scandal" (if you are unsure what this is here is a link explaining) I think that it has become very clear that we all need to be very careful when interacting with people over the internet, even if we feel that we know them through their videos.

It has been brought to my attention that even though they try really hard to be honest, they do want to keep their private lives to themselves and as viewers we should respect that but also take it as a caution that we do not know everything about these 'idols'.

I know this has been quite a different post to what I would normally post but I think that it is really important that everyone stays safe on the internet.




Much love,

Catherine xox

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Totally agree with everything said here!